The FUN Youth and Young Adult Clubs are designed to bring together vulnerable young people aged 10 to 25 with a broad spectrum of disabilities for fun activities as well as an opportunity to learn independent living skills, providing them with a sense of belonging and acceptance in their own community.
The project delivered the following outcomes:
- Up to 1,200 places provided per year
- 1 Youth Club per week during term time (36 sessions, 540 places per year)
- 1 Young Adult Club per week per year (50 sessions, 750 places per year)
- 35 parent carers receive respite
Youth Clubs for 10-17 year olds offers a range of themed activities.
Annual attendance 386
- The Mexico themed evening, included use of the IT suite for research, cooking fajitas, making papier mache piñatas and sombreros and a fancy dress party.
- Learning about healthy eating involved carrying out surveys and making fruit kebabs and smoothies.
- Animal themed activities enabled the young people to research their favourite animals and draw/paint animals they could find around the building. They also made dinosaur cookies.
- The young people formed a choir for the Christmas party.
Young Adult Clubs for 18-40 year olds
Annual attendance 385
- A visit to the Jump Arena enjoying an hour of trampolining.
- A picnic at Dunstable Downs including kite flying, sketching, photography and cricket.
- Young adults were put into groups to compete in the FUN Bake Off.
- Socialising at their Christmas meal.
- Creating, and performing in, the Christmas Panto in front of families and friends.
Quotes from parents and carers:
"I am shocked; I can’t believe Adult A is capable of standing in front of an audience and delivering her lines"
"I can’t believe how much B has achieved this evening"
"C has loved rehearsing for this Panto, acting really helps calm her anxiety and she thrives in Drama"